Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Blog About Anything.

I am not sure if one should feel good or bad about loving the holidays. The fact is, most people do not love them because of a celebration of our freedom and religious equality or as the celebration of a savior's day of birth.  Is it wrong to love holidays if that is not why you celebrate? The fact is, I love to be around my family on holidays, because at one of two of the those mentioned above, my family takes the time to engourge themselves with food and not try to kill each other, for once. And obviously, that is not what the holidays are about. But that is exactly why I appreciate them and look forward to them. 

There is something about spending time with your family that guilts everyone into behaving and acting coordially, even when you really don't like them at all. That's fine with me, because I need that down-time, regardless of how uncomfortable that makes everyone else. Even though it may not really be the best way to celebrate, I think that it is a clear representation of that all the same. We participate, we express gratitude, we pass the stuffing. Despite the falsehood that may appear through expressing grace, I think that it brings out the best in even the worst people. The bottom line is that the credit given to a person in expression of your gratitude for them is probably true, even if it is hard to say.

But the best part of all is that I don't see my family much. Even the ones I live with. So the holiday lives on even after everyone has left the table, because we leave with that gratitude. I savor the fact that no one is around each other long enough to explode with frustration and spread the truth. Because I don't speak with the negations the next day. No one high tails after me in their car to confront me about the lies told in between smacking jaws across the dinner table. The holidays go to sleep and re-appear a year later. That is how I celebrate them, and I am grateful none the less.

2 comments:

theteach said...

I do not think it is wrong to love your holidays, though I know a number of people who find them troublesome. Your reflection reminds us that if we look for something good in the situation, the event, we can find happiness. Sometimes it may be difficult, however.

You remind us to take a closer look and to become more focused. Heartwarming!1

tripleaye said...

Thank you!